Fletcher Wedding 2015

Fletcher Wedding 2015

Friday, May 22, 2015

Marriage Takes Time & Effort

Marriage is not always easy. In fact, it can be quite challenging at times. Marriage takes time and effort. Arguments are going to happen and husband and wife are going to disagree on things. What I liked most about the reading this week was it was based on friendship. Being friends with your spouse is truly rewarding.
I am so grateful for the relationship I have with my husband. He is my best friend. A few weeks ago I was asked if I ever get bored being with my husband all day. I shook my head and said, “no way. Being with him is my favorite thing in the world.” Being married is like hanging out with your best friend all day. Do my husband and I always get along? No. Do we argue about stupid things? Yes.
It’s sad when couples think that because they argue their marriage won’t last. Gottman stressed the importance of communication and compromise. Without communicating effectively you cannot have a successful marriage. I also loved that Gottman said, “For every negative thing you say to your spouse, make it up with 5 positive things.” It is easier to get your feeling hurt by something negative said than feel better and comforted by something positive said.
Communicate in your marriages. Strive to be the best spouse you can be. My bishop once told me, “Stop focusing on all the things your husband does wrong. Instead, think of how you can make yourself better.” Compromise is key. Love one another, say nice things to one another and be the best you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment